Meet Vinnie, a 1965 red AC Cobra muscle car and familiar to Maggie Park.
- How did you first meet your writer? As I zoomed through her head a midnight. Like most women, she couldn’t resist my charm.
- Did you ever think that your life would end up being in a book? Heck no. I mean, I know I’m good looking and everyone digs me, but I never figured I’d be the star of the show if you know what I mean.
- Tell us about your favorite scene in the book. I can’t help but laugh my cahoonas off thinking about the time that undercover cop of SKUL, that Mick Jasper, got in my car. He tries not to act like it, but I know he has a hankerin’ for my Maggie Parks. So I showed him the first opportunity I had alone with him. He got in my seat and I locked the doors taking him on the joy ride of his life. I stopped when I thought he was about to go number two in my seat, if you catch my drift. And in Bettting Off Dead, I play a big part in cornering the killer. Better than that Mick dude! I’d like to say that I saved Maggie yet again!
- Did you have a hard time convincing your author to write any particular scenes for you? Yeah . . . the one I just told you about. It was funny, but she wasn’t sure how Maggie was going to react. I told Tonya not to worry about Maggie. I have Maggie right where I want her.
- What do you like to do when you are not being actively read somewhere? I’m always up for a good wash, buff, and high shine! I love a good piston clean too.
- If you could rewrite anything in your book, what would it be? I’d rewrite that Mick Jasper right on out of the book!
- Tell the truth. What do you think of your fellow characters? Okay . . . I love Maggie. I go everywhere with her, even her day job at her family’s DINER, The Brew. How could I not. I was put on this earth to serve as her familiar. Her family is alright. I get mad when Riule, Maggie’s mom cat familiar, curls up on my hood to get warm. Makes me all itchy. Anyways, really I like everyone….but that Mick guy. I’m starting to get used to him being around. He does have Maggie’s best interest at heart, but I just can’t help but to know that he’s a regular guy with regular thoughts. I get mad when his thoughts about Maggie roam outside the line of their working partnership.
- Do have any secret aspirations that your author doesn’t know about? I want to be in a car show. I know I’d drive off with the prize.
- If you had a free day with no responsibilities and your only mission was to enjoy yourself, what would you do? I’d find the straightest road and let my engine roar going one hundred miles per hour. Heaven when the air whips around me.
- What impression do you make on people when they first meet you? How about after they’ve known you for a while? They immediately want to sit in me and curl their fingers around my wheel. After a while, they get jealous of Maggie since I’m hers and she’s mine.
- What are you most afraid of? Dirty rims. I get cranky with the littlest amount of dirt on my chrome.
- What aspect of your author’s writing style do you like best? I like how Tonya makes it funny. I’ve noticed that everyone who has read Spies and Spells laughs out loud, especially in my scenes, and Betting Off Dead is no different!
- If your story were a movie, who would play you? Definitely NOT Herbie the Love Bug. I’d say KIT from Nightrider might have a shot.
- Describe the town where you live. It’s complicated. We live in the city of Louisville which is big for Kentucky, but we reside on Belgravia Court in Old Louisville. We are like our own little charming town.
- What is next for your character? Tonya and I are working on Get Witch or Die Trying where I have a big role because Mick is under investigation himself. So Maggie needs me more than ever.
So, fans and readers, tell us in the comments: What would you like to see Vinnie do to aggravate Mick Jasper?
About the Book
And they’re off!
Gambling on horse racing is Kentucky’s number one sport but when Kentucky Derby Thoroughbred picked to win the Derby, Rails and Nails, ends up poisoned, SKUL special agent Mick Jasper and rookie witch Maggie Park, who keeps her witch powers a secret, are called in to investigate a world of illegal gambling where a run for the roses can prove to be deadly.
About the Author
Tonya has written over 20 novels and 4 novellas, all of which have graced numerous bestseller lists including USA Today. Best known for stories charged with emotion and humor, and filled with flawed characters, her novels have garnered reader praise and glowing critical reviews. She lives with her husband and a teenage boy (her other three boys have spread their wings in college) and two very spoiled schnauzers in Kentucky.